Total a-bomb drop by the Flyers. Let's breakdown some additional details:
1. The total contract is 14 years, 110 million
[ via @realkyper
2. The contract pays out 68 million in bonuses. [ puck daddy
3. If the Predators don't match the offer, they will get the Flyers next four first round draft picks.
4. The contract pays out 27 million dollars in the first NHL calendar year.
5. The Predators cannot match, and then trade Weber somewhere else for an entire year.
6. The move would put the Flyers at the cap limit of 70.2 million, but they have LTIR with Pronger being hurt.
7. If the Preds matched, it would be 16% of the entire franchise's worth:
So what does this situation mean for the Penguins?
Well, it isn't great news. Since 2010-2011, the Penguins are 6-11-1 against the Flyers. In those games they have scored 61 goals, and gave up 68. Weber's addition will make a major impact on those numbers.
Common arguments we've seen used by Penguins fans already:
Well the Flyers still have Bryzgalov so Weber won't matter. You mean the same Bryzgalov that defeated the Penguin in a playoff series? Defense bolsters goalie play big time.
Well the Flyers won't be able to sign Giroux now. Yes they will.
Now, in no way are we saying it is time for the Penguins to do something to match this move. We also aren't saying that this move makes the Flyers unbeatable.
Read it again...
In no way are we saying it is time for the Penguins to do something to match this move. We also aren't saying that this move makes the Flyers unbeatable.
And read it again…
We aren't saying it is time for the Penguins to do something to match this move. We also aren't saying that this move makes the Flyers unbeatable.
But this is giant and it is cause for concern. The Flyers will now have two major shutdown D lines to match Malkin and Crosby . Their powerplay, that scored 1,000 powerplay goals against the Pens, will be even better.
If this deal goes through the Penguins don't have to do anything.
But based on April , they may want to consider doing something.