There was no blown two-goal lead in this one.
The Penguins only managed 15 shots, but 2 went in. Marc-Andre Fleury made 35 saves in the back end of his first career back-to-back shutout.
The Rangers will bank the excuse of playing five games in seven days, but let us be honest here — no one will ever feel bad for the New York Rangers. The Penguins didn’t seem like they did much this game, but their defense was outstanding throughout.
Six things about this game
- Crosby scored, but now we are left with the cruel “Crosby hasn’t scored in five minutes; what’s wrong?” joke. It’s honestly a terrible time. Still all of the lulz that people questioned 87 to begin with.
- The Penguins went 18 minutes without registering a shot on net in the second and third periods.
- Paul Martin played as well as we’ve ever seen him play. He made this ridiculous play:
- Jussi Jokinen scored the back-breaking goal of this game right as his penalty expired. He quietly has a seven-game point streak in the playoffs.
- The Rangers blew four power plays in this game, including a four-minute major. Horrid stuff.
- Marc-Andre Fleury won’t get a ton of credit. Instead, people will say the Rangers were tired. But make no mistake about it — he was locked in. Flawless performance, really. This was his best save of the night:
Full cap in the AM.