The Pens slept through most of the preseason, but they awoke in Detroit They rolled 5-1. The Wings didn't have anyone dressed, but neither did the Hawks on Monday night when they outplayed the Pens badly. This time, the Pens dominated from start to finish in their most complete game of the preseason.
Pens' new system
Haven't really touched on this during the preseason, but the Penguins are apparently playing a new system this season, or at least trying it out in the preseason. Then again, Bylsma would be smart to blend Jacques Martin's defensive ideas into the system.
Let's let @jmarshfof explain:
First Period goals
Second Period goals
Pens were rolling until Engo tried to murder some Wing and hit Orpik in the face instread. Then Fleury came 30 feet out of the net, and it led to a hilarious goal by the WIngs. Might have been the only time the Wings had the puck in the Pens' zone the entire period.
Malkin ripped a slap shot toward the net, and Craig Adams deflected it home. Makin looked shocked.
Screenshot from the Wings broadcast:
– Pens' power play got on the board midway through the third when Chris Kunitz put one home. Nasty game from Kunitz.
- Footage of Tanner Glass in this game
– Orpik didn't play in the third after getting hit by this failed Engo hit:
- Paul Martin has been away from the team due to a personal issue. We may be the only people who didn't know that.
- Quiet game for guys trying to make a last impression: Dustin Jeffrey, Chuck Kobasew, etc.