Pens came out with a far better effort than they showed on Monday, and they were able to win despite blowing a 3-1 lead.
– Derrick Pouliot played an expectional game in Chicago, all things considered. He wavered here and there, but it was all around great to see. He got the Pens on the board with a power-play goal. He won't make the team, nor should he, but within two years he is going to be nasty. With the Penguins' D as backed up as it is, there is just no rush for him. But when he does come up, look out.
– Joe Vitale scored the most Joe Vitale goal ever. Vitale probaly has a spot on the team in the bottom six, and he played well. He did blow an easy lay-up in the third that would have put the score 4-1 Pens.
– Sidney Crosby got the third goal on a nice feed from Kunitz.
Crosby looked a lot better tonight, as well. He also got a high stick in the face. For a moment before the replay aired, there was that fear of him getting hit in the head. God.
Defense looked strong
-Robert Bortuzzo played a really good game. He blocked a few shots, hammered Patrick Kane, and just looked like a solid NHL defenseman. It basically will be a bad joke if the Penguins coaching staff can't make room for him in the top 7 D.
-Simon Despres played an OK game. Nothing fancy but solid nonetheless.
-If the Penguins trade Matt Niskanen, it will be embarassing. He played 24 of the quietest, most solid minutes you'll see an NHL defenseman play. But a salary cap is a salary cap.
No clue who Brendan Mikkelson is, but early in the first period he became the first Penguin defenseman in 5 years to clear someone out from the front of the net. Had a solid game until late when he started playing hockey like Phil Mickelson.
Bennett got the shootout winner, and he was probably the best Penguins forward all night. He looked stronger and faster. He only saw about 16 minutes, but he made his minutes count.
– Steve MacIntyre played 5:02 and probably made more money doing it than most human beings do in a month.
– Engelland wasn't very good. He took two penalties and just seemed slow. He had an assist, but whatev.
– Jayson Megna really isn't that good. Sorry. He already plays for the Penguins. His name is Joe Vitale.