There is something going on with this team that isn't too great. Something seems off. It’s still too early to know exactly what or how big the problem is, but it is a little concerning. Yet another game where they gave the puck away more than their opponent (5-2). Another game where they didn't get goals from Crosby or Malkin.
But maybe we’re just wanting to scream that the sky is falling.
1. This was the second of a back-to-back, and on the road, no less.
2. The Pens are still without Scuderi, although you can’t think the Pens will stop turning the puck over the day he returns.
3. Martin Brodeur decided he wasn't going to be beat, and that was basically the game.
The road gets tougher this week. Anaheim is in town Monday night. Then the Pens head to Washington for a Metro Division heavyweight bout on Penguins Night in America, the Isles at home on Friday, and then a trip to Montreal Saturday night.
Even though this turned out to be a 4-1 final, it was a really great duel between Marc-Andre Fleury and Martin Brodeur. It is amazing how Brodeur is still able to dictate the game to shooters. Scary, really. As for Fleury, he went toe-to-toe with Brodeur until the third when his defense started putting him in some really bad spots.
– Pens outshot the Devils 10-3.
The Devils scored a bullshit goal with 18 seconds left. Nothing Fleury could do with that terrible bounce.
Kind of a mutual breakdown between Letang and Adams there. The puck should have been cleared out of the zone.
– Pens had a ton of chances early. Malkin couldn’t put into a wide open net. It’s haunting right now for him. Simply has to start scoring.
– After the Devils sustained some pressure, Marek Zidlicky totally whiffed on a puck at the point in the Pens’ zone. Kunitz swooped in and took the puck on a breakaway. Uncle Daddy slid out for a Hasek poke-check, but Kunitz got it to his backhand just in time to lift it toward the net.
Cash money hands by Kunitz.
After a bad line change by Letang, MAF made a big stop on Bernier. Regardless of any struggles MAF has, he always seems to have a leg up on breakaways for whatever reason.
-A couple minutes later, it was MAF's turn to pull a Hasek, only he stopped it.
The sequence leading to the eventual game-winning goal came from the Pens simply not finishing business at the other end.
Malkin had a great chance in front. It would have been a sick goal, but it still didn't go in.
Devils went the other way. Goal. Adam Larsson. 2-1. We thought Jagr was having another chuckle to himself after getting a piece of it, but he would have his time in the sun later.
– Crosby went off for 4 minutes with a high stick. Could’ve been the game right there. The Pens’ kill came up huge.
Jagr puts it out of reach
Pens were just a show away from tying the game up. It was far from decided. Then Kris Letang made a brutal mistake. He turned the puck over, and Double J was waiting in the wings. Boom.
He added the empty-net for good measure. Devils win 4-1.
– Letang and Malkin -3. woof.