Even with a depleted blue line, the lack of offense all weekend raises some eyebrows. The Zach Boychuk Experiment isn't amounting to much. Pascal Dupuis is on the Penguins' top line.
NOTES FROM THIS GAME
– Real great to hear the unbiased announcing crew on NBCSN.
– CONSOL came across pretty loud. Maybe ROOT Sports just has their mikes turned down.
– Say what you want about Malkin, but his passing is elite. On the Pens' lone goal, he sprung Kunitz, who dished it to Neal for a one-timer. After that goal, the Pens threw out their line, and Tyler Kennedy iced the puck.
– Ask yourself this. How many NHL rosters would Tyler Kennedy be on other than the Penguins? He couldn't play on the Devils.
– The Devils defense is ferocious. They didn't give the Pens much all weekend really. The Pens' best chances on even strength came with Malkin and Crosby together. Malkin rung one off the pipe in the third last night. Goes without saying it would've been a huge goal.
– Zach Boychuk. Yikes.
The whiff he had on a huge chance from Malkin was uber embarrassing. We're not picking on Boychuk here, the guy has talent, but almost five games in he hasn't put anything on the scoreboard. Wishing and hoping for a top six forward to come around is LOL city. Just saying.
– Paul Martin taking over in minutes
– Still really okay with Depres and Bortuzzo
– Bortuzzo needs a nickname. He had a fight last night:
– Most impressive Devil over the weekend: Adam Larsson. The second overall pick a few years ago is a monster. Really not looking forward to him playing the Pens over the next 10 years. In a couple of years he'll be the Norris winner.